Wednesday, February 1, 2017

February 1, 2017 - We didn’t start the fire (But someone did)


Hey so how is everyone doing? Life is going along piola down here in Chile. The work continues to progress super fast in my new sector because Elder Gowers and I have really started to hit the ground hard, we try not to waste a single minute during the day because we know that we have a ton of stuff to get done. This past week was a week with a lot of service, and also a lot of new changes to our lives as missionaries. 

Ok so you guys probably do not know, but we had a change to our missionary schedule last week, and we are trusted more as missionaries to manage our schedules and what we want to do during the day. I really like it because it allows us more time to do morning proselyting if we want to, and push studies back a little bit, or study in the morning and work in the afternoon, so it is a really flexible schedule to work with. Our PDay also got longer so that we can have time to do more stuff to get prepared for the week, so Elder Gowers and I are also going to start playing soccer in the mornings at our church and inviting all of the youth, and having them invite their friends so we can have more people to teach, I am super excited. 

This week was overall a good week. As I was looking through all of my journal entries this last week the phrase I always saw was "Today was a good day" and they were all great days. We have still been doing a ton of contacting in our sector, but we are starting to find more people to teach. On Tuesday we went to visit a potential investigator and as we were teaching him he stopped us in the lesson and said he was a member, even though we had asked him earlier in the lesson if he had ever heard of the Mormons and he said no. But anyway that is just how the people work down here in Santiago. But, he is working to come back to church after recently moving into our area, so we are super excited for him. 

As I said before we also did a ton of service this week with investigators and less actives in our ward. We went and pulled down two trees in our neighbor's yard this last week, and we also went and smashed concrete apart at one of our investigators houses, so it was a pretty great week. I have really been studying the story of Ammon in the Book of Mormon and how he used service to change the lives of thousands, and that through service we can really change the lives of others as well, so I am excited to see where this leads us. 

So this week I do not have a funny story, I just have news. The south of Chile is burning to bits right now, there are over 100 fires that are ravaging the country, and thousands of people have lost their homes, jobs and even loved ones. We have met a few people in our area that are here living with family or friends because all of their things have been destroyed. It is really rough to watch and see, and all of the smoke from the fires comes to Santiago and just sits over the city, making it even hotter than normal. But, it has really strengthened my testimony that we all have problems, and if we can used the power of the Atonement to overcome them, we will be comforted by the Lord. We will see how much we get affected by these fires, but for now we are just working to help by comforting the people and collecting things to donate. 

However, overall the mission is still the best thing I have ever done in my life. I can honestly say that the only way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others, and in that moment you will begin to realize just how much our Savior loves us too. I am grateful for everyone of you and I hope you are all good! Do not forget to write!



Love,

Elder Tilghman



Alma 20

IMG_0254.JPG
Some sweet shoes we found in a mall
IMG_0230.JPG
My main man Elder Shirrod
IMG_0243.JPG
My other main man Elder Smith
IMG_0241.JPG
Temple PDay
IMG_0235.JPG
Hermano Quezada, a guy from my last ward, I forgot to send the picture but he is awesome

No comments:

Post a Comment